Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Farm Overview

Hi everyone!

Welcome to the blog for Frost Arrow Farm - until I get the farm's "real" website up and running, this will be the place for all the information that would normally go on a whole website.  Afterwards it will still be the place to go for the  most recent news from the field, information on sales and what's growing right now, plus my own musings on life.

Frost Arrow Farm is my organic vegetable farm in Carlisle, PA.  It's a brand new venture for me; after almost five years working for Village Acres Farm in Mifflintown, PA (and three managing the CSA there), I'm striking out on my own.  2013 will be my first year of production here in Carlisle and I'm looking forward to it.

I'm planning on selling my produce through three outlets: the New Cumberland Farmer's Market on Saturdays, a Community-Supported Agriculture (CSA) program in Cumberland County, and the Tuscarora Organic Grower's Cooperative, a farmer-owned wholesaler of organic produce.  If you're interested in buying vegetables from me at the farmer's market, just come visit me there when it's in season! It'll be a great way to pick and choose just what you want from the farm and to see all the best of what local farmers are growing each week.  If you're interested in a closer commitment to the farm, then you may be interested in joining our CSA program.  For $650 a year, I'll provide you and your family a fresh box of vegetables every week from Memorial Day to just before Thanksgiving. (That works out to 26 weeks, or $25/week).  The contents of the box will vary with whatever's in season and growing well each week, but are intended to provide an interesting variety of vegetables for a family of four that cooks pretty regularly.  You can pick up at the market on Saturdays, or we can work out any other reasonable delivery schedule - that's the benefit of getting in from the start with a new farm.  Please send me an email if you'd like to discuss joining the farm in more detail.

Pictures and news to come soon!  Right now (Jan 2) I'm working on getting my high tunnel set up to grow late winter/early spring salad mixes in, and trying to get my seed order and other beginning-of-the-year tasks completed. 

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment