Friday, May 3, 2013

First Market of the Year!

Tomorrow morning is the first market of the year, both for me and for the brand-new New Cumberland market.  Here's hoping it's good for both parties!

It's been a busy week here and it's been a relief to finally harvest a decent amount of veggies.  Must be that spring is here at last, and the plants are really starting to grow.  Monday I delivered ten boxes of mesclun mix to my wholesaler at Tuscarora.  I was hoping to save a little more of it for later on in the season, but it was getting so big I decided I better harvest it soon.  It's hard to grow mustard plants too late in the season in a high tunnel (it gets too hot for them and they go to seed), but thankfully the outdoor plantings of mesclun are coming on pretty strong and should be ready by next week, and I still had some left over to bring to market tomorrow too.

The big crop for market tomorrow is going to be the wildfire lettuce mix - I'm really excited by how nice it looks, and it's been growing really well all week.  It feels like I spent all day harvesting it, but I have a feeling it'll be the first thing to go tomorrow too.  The radishes look pretty nice too, especially the Easter Egg bunches with their pastel reds, pinks, and purples.  I was a little surprised to see some white radishes mixed into the Easter Egg seed too...they complement the mix well, but they look so much like those tasty little salad turnips that it's a little surprising to find that they're radishes.

We should have a few other neat things on hand, too.  The mint is growing really well, just in time for Kentucky Derby season, and the flower bouquets are starting to come in.  I'll see if I can coax some of our reluctant spinach into harvest by tomorrow morning, too.  Hope to see you there!
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment